Saturday, July 30, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent = IT WORKS!!!


This is all you need to make your own powdered Laundry Detergent which is FREE AND GENTILE!

Borax is WONDERFUL, CHEAP, and a must have in EVERY house.  It only has ONE ingredient!

I bought the Borax, Washing Soda, and Ivory soap all for under $10 at Walmart.

One batch makes enough for about 10+ loads depending on how soiled it is and how large the load is.

Ingredients & Tools Needed

Borax
WASHING soda (both found in laundry aisle)
Ivory (there are also other bars you can use Fels-Naptha - but I found it too strongly fragranced and gave me a headache I chose Ivory because it is dye free and gentile)

You will need a grater (I have one that has 4 sides I used the smallest size)
A bowl
A spoon 
A 1 cup measuring cup
and a container for your laundry detergent


Directions 
Grate one bar of Ivory soap into a bowl
Add 1 cup of Borax 
Add 1 cup of Washing Soda
Mix until it looks like this:
and YOUR DONE!!  That simple!  

Directions and Tips for use

So the websites that I got this recipe from say 1 tablespoon = 1 load. So far I have tried it with 1, 2 and 3.  
For a small load of items that are NOT soiled, just worn 1 tablespoon is plenty.  
Lightly soiled, medium loads - 2 tablespoons should do the trick.
Heavily soiled/large loads - 3 tablespoons, but still PRE TREAT STAINS!  The same as you would do with your regular detergent do with this!  With just 3 tablespoons and NO pretreatment is got almost ALL of the blood out of my sons shirt after his nose bleed.  I can hardly tell it is there!  That was my test of this and it passed!

Make more than one batch at a time and you will be set for awhile ESPECIALLY if you don't have 10 loads to wash a week like I do!  This is going to have SO much money for me!  

Give it a try!

I also recommend doing it in low-humidity or air conditioning.  It's easier to grate the soap in cooler conditions.  I also added part of another bar of soap, because I was not brave enough to grate down to the smallest piece of the first bar of soap - I would have grated my fingers off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment